Varicose veins normally are quite harmless and do not require any treatment. However, they can become dangerous with growing age and other complications. Hence, it is advisable to get it treated. They are normally treated with lifestyle changes and medical procedures. However, it has to be noted that the treatment helps the existing varicose veins but cannot stop new ones from forming.
These are the basic and first treatment steps to reduce any pain or swelling, ease discomfort, prevent current affected veins from getting worse and delay formation of new ones. Even the doctors’ first step of remedy is advice on lifestyle changes to help ease current situation and prevent further aggravation. These changes include –
- Avoid sitting/standing for long periods at a stretch. Crossing of legs should be avoided when sitting. Whenever possible, the legs should be raised above the level of the heart.
- Physical activities should be done regularly which will ensure leg movement and improved muscle tone along with proper blood flow through the veins.
- If obese, try to lose as much of obesity as possible.
- Tight clothes, especially tight around the waist, groin and legs should be avoided as tight clothes can worsen varicose veins.
- Avoid high heels for long periods as it can stress calf muscles.
- Consuming a high fiber diet including whole grains like oats, beans, peas, barley, lentils, brown rice, whole wheat, abundant fruits and vegetables will ease pressure off the varicose veins. They will also prevent constipation, which often puts additional pressure on legs.
- Ensuring consumption of 1,000 to 2,000 milligrams of vitamin C every day, either through diet or through oral pills strengthens the blood vessel walls, improves health of the leg veins and arrests tendency of the legs to swell due to poor circulation or pressure from standing and sitting.
- Varicose vein creams containing powerful herbs and essential oils can be applies which can be beneficial for leg vein health and regeneration of damaged veins.
- Sometimes doctors prescribe compression stockings, which create gentle pressure up the legs and ease swelling, ache and pooling of blood in the veins. These are available in different sizes, length and pressure that they provide.
- Taking about 250 mg of horse chestnut seed extract can greatly ease pain and discomfort. They are known to be as effective as compression stockings.
Simple life style changes can greatly alleviate varicose veins and help you lead a healthy life.