Our nails are an important part of our body. Can you imagine yourself living without nails on your fingers and toes?
The outside part of our nails is composed of nail plate and cuticle. And, it is made of a protective protein called keratin. Yet, sometimes without proper care, it encounters problems such as onychomycosis commonly known as nail fungus.
Nail fungus or onychomycosis is the yellowish and crackling of the nails. So, if you are suffering from this infection, don’t wait until the infection spreads. You need to cure it immediately by finding some home remedies for nail fungus.
How to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus?
- Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider is first on the list of the nail fungus treatment because of its mildly acidic property that can kill fungi and bacteria. It can also help prevent the spreading of nail fungus.
- Combine the same measurement of water and apple cider vinegar. Then, for 30 minutes, let your nails or toenails soak in this solution every day. After you are done, thoroughly dry your nails. For faster improvement, use this solution everyday for a few more weeks.
- Another choice using the apple cider vinegar is to make an antifungal exfoliating scrub. To make this, pour a few spoons of apple cider vinegar to some rice flour that is coarsely ground. Once the paste is ready, apply the paste on the infected nail and clean the area gently. By doing this many times a week, it will make your skin soft and get rid of the dead skin cells on the affected area.
- Baking Soda
As we all know that baking soda is an effective cleanser. It cleans not only our utensils, but also our teeth and nails. However, it is one of the best toenail fungus treatments. The baking soda aids in foot odor by neutralizing it. Though baking soda is not fungicidal, it is still fungistatic, which means that it can stop the fungus from growing and spreading.
- The things you need are Epsom salt, hydrogen peroxide and baking soda. In 4 cups of hot water, put the ½ cup of baking soda, ½ cup of Epsom salt and ¼ cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide.
- After that, thoroughly mix and stir the ingredients, then add ¼ cup of white vinegar to the mixture. Once you are done with the solution, soak the affected toenails for 10 minutes. After that, rinse with clean water and thoroughly dry the nails. For several weeks, redo the process twice every day.
- Tea Tree Oil
Aside from being an acne cure, tea tree oil is also one of those natural remedies that can cure nail fungus because of its antibacterial and antifungal properties.
- In one teaspoon of coconut oil or olive oil, pour a few drops of tea tree oil.
- To apply the solution in the affected nail, use a cotton ball. Let the solution set on the affected area for 10 minutes. And, for best results, repeat this process two to three times a day.